Kuala Terengganu is a district in the state of Terengganu. It has an area of 60,528.1 hectares and is the capital of Terengganu . It is also the Royal Town of Terengganu Darul Iman. Geographically, the whole of eastern part of Kuala Terengganu faces the South China Sea including Pulau Redang and Pulau Bidong are the main tourist destination in the state. The Kuala Terengganu town which is located at the wide estuary of Terengganu River crosses other district boundaries to Hulu Terengganu and Hulu Nerus. Once , this river was an important route for transportation and trading activities. In relation to this, a major part of socio-culture was influenced by sea-side and fisherman heart and soul. Traditionally, the people in this district are skillful fishermen, boat builders and sailors.
History shown that Terengganu and Kuala Terengganu has been known hundreds of years ago. In Chinese history books such as “Ling-Wai-Tai-ta” written by Cao-Cu-Fei in 1178 mentioned ‘Teng-ya-nu’ and the book ‘Cu-fan-cih’ written by Cao-Ju-Kua in 1226 mentioned ‘Teng-ya-nung’. Both mentioned names referred to the Terengganu which was said to be ruled by Seri Wijaya Government (San-fo-Cih) in the 2nd Century. Ptolemy, a Greek astronomer, has noted down two ports in the east coast of Malay Land Peninsular. The ports are Primula and Kole. Primula is believed to be in Kuala Terengganu while Kole in Kemaman.
A Chinese writer’s note during Sui Dynasty has also mentioned about a state named ‘Tan-Tan’ that has sent a gift to China and Paul Wheatley concluded that the state mentioned in the Chinese note may be was governed either in Kuala Besut or Kuala Terengganu. The note also mentioned that Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Berang were the main trading center in South-east Asia in 12th Century. Terengganu River was the main route and important for foreign traders in those time. Trading goods such as eaglewood, laka wood and high quality tusks as an exchanges with gold and silver. A Chinese traveler, “Chao Ju Kua” mentioned in the notes he wrote in 1225 that ‘Teng – Ya - Nong’ or Kuala Terengganu was an important trading port along the east coast of the Malay Land.
The discovery of a very valuable historical property, a granite stone, square shape carved with writings, measuring 84 cm high, 53 cm wide in the top portion and 27 cm wide at the bottom and it weighs 215 kg. It was carved with writings on it’s four surfaces using the mixture of Sanskrit and Malay languages in the year 1303 AD./702 Hijrah. The stone was known as ‘Batu Bersurat’. The discovery has become an historical valuable item and the only proof of the coming of Islamic Relegion into the Malay Land since the 14th century.